Environmental Services offers a wide range of disposal services at Los Reales Landfill which includes recycling of special items and disposal of household hazardous waste (HHW).
- Any covered load 2000 pounds or less $15 (Effective July 1, 2011)
- Any covered load more than 2000 pounds $32 per ton
- Uncovered loads will be charged an additional $5
- Tires, $2 each, Limit 10 (passenger and light truck tires only), in addition to any other applicable fees
- Special handling $75 per ton minimum
- Disposal of appliances designed to use refrigerant, $5 per appliance in addition to other applicable fees
- Credit cards can not be used as a deposit for loads over one ton (2000 lbs.)
- Commercial customers are charged $32 per ton for covered loads.
- Additional $5 fee for uncovered loads.
Los Reales Landfill does not accept commercial recycling - call 520-791-5000 for information about commercial recycling.
Call 520-791-3171 for landfill account information or to set up an account.
Note: Call 520-791-4183 to arrange special handling. A 24-hour advance notice for residential waste hauled in commercial vehicles is required.
New Landfill Disposal Rates Effective July 1, 2011
Special Handling charges are $75 per ton (minimum $75) and are required for disposal of waste that requires additional operational efforts proper disposal. Examples of waste that requires special handling include:
Clean Fill (Earthen Material)
Clean Fill is soil type material that is not contaminated with glass, plastic, paper, wood, or metal. It may contain small amounts of organic material that, when compacted, is not visible. It may contain up to 20% (by volume) of rock, gravel, concrete or asphalt material (inert materials) that are no longer than 12". Clean fill from off-site may be accepted if the generator and/or hauler certifies that the soils are not CONTAMINATED or from a remediation project. Clean fill that can be productively used by the landfill may be accepted at no charge if there is a minimum of 100 tons or cubic yards delivered per day. Small deliveries of clean fill (less than 100 tons or cubic yards) will be charged the commercial disposal rate.
Do not place these materials in garbage containers or bring them to the landfill - they cannot be be disposed of at the landfill:
- Regulated hazardous waste
- Regulated Polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB)
- Untreated commercial biohazardous medical waste
- Universal waste
- Regulated radioactive materials
- Bulk Liquids
- Raw septage
- Units containing refrigerants*
- Whole tires*
- Lead acid batteries**
- Waste oil**
- Any wastes prohibited by Federal, State of rizona statute or regulation or City policy.
** Materials accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste collection sites.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection at Los Reales Landfill
The Los Reales Landfill is a drop-off collection site for the Tucson/Pima County Household Hazardous Waste Program. The collection site is free and is open to Residential Users only. No commercially generated waste is accepted. For information about the Small Business Waste Acceptance Program, click here. For information about other collection sites and events, click here.
These HHW materials are accepted at Los Reales:
- Cleaning products
- Hobby chemicals
- Pool chemicals
- Lawn and garden chemicals
- Drain openers
- Automotive fluids (5 gallon limit for oil)
- Flammable products
- Propane tanks
- Fluorescent bulbs (tubes and compact fluorescents)
- Anything labeled toxic, poison, danger, acid, or caustic
- Computers (one computer per household). To dispose or recycle multiple computers call 623-7162
Televisions are not accepted for recycling at the landfill. Only residential televisions may be disposed of safely in the landfill.
For information on disposal of materials other than municipal solid waste (i.e. process manufacturing waste, petroleum-contaminated soil, asbestos, etc.) call 520-791-4183.