The Arizona Dept. of Transportation has begun construction for widening I-10 from Prince Rd. to Ruthrauff. The Prince Rd. exit is closed. To access the HHW Main Facility, you must exit at Ruthrauff Rd. and go south on the west Frontage Rd.; turn right on Sweetwater Drive. Construction Fact Sheet
What to do with Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste, or HHW, are products labeled toxic, danger, poison, flammable, etc. These are potentially harmful to people, pets and the environment. They should never be poured down the drain. So what should you do?
If you are like many residents, you don't want to throw these materials away but aren't sure what to do with them. They usually sit stored in a garage or shed. The Tucson/Pima County HHW Program is available to all residents of Pima County. Through the HHW Program, residents can drop off their materials and they will be safely recycled, reused, or disposed of properly.
What you need to know:
Drop-off Locations and Hours of Operation
2440 W. Sweetwater Dr.
Friday and Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
To be eligible to drop off materials, verification of address is required, preferably a driver’s license or other documents showing permanent residency.
Los Reales Landfill
5300 E. Los Reales Rd.
Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Outreach Sites 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon (except for holidays)
1st Saturday of Each Month
Eastside Service Center, 7575 E. Speedway Blvd. (turn north on Prudence to enter the drop-off line)
Note: Televisions & computer monitors are collected at this location each month by Rise, Inc. There is a fee of $10 for each television and $2 for each monitor brought in without a computer.
2nd Saturday of Each Month
This collection is mobile moves to a different location each month. Check the calendar for the latest information.
ABOP Sites (Antifreeze, Batteries, Oil, and Paint)
Sahuarita Landfill, 16605 S. La Cañada Dr.
Monday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Catalina Transfer Station, 14425 N. Oracle Rd.
Thursday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Ryan Field Transfer Station, 6455 S. Continental Rd.
Thursday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Please deliver large quantities to the main site. For more information click here.
Sponsor an HHW Collection Event
Businesses and community groups can sponsor an HHW collection event for their members and/or employees. Environmentals Services will assist any entity requesting a collection event to properly collect and dispose of HHW from residential communities. Requests will be evaluated based on the requirements listed below.
- This service will only be provided within Pima County boundaries.
- An adequate event site must be provided. The site must be large enough to allow vehicles to safely enter and exit the collection site, accommodate a 20’x20’ canopy, and provide enough space for vehicles to line up while being serviced so as to not cause unsafe traffic conditions on public road ways. ES staff will approve all proposed collection sites.
- A letter of permission must be provided from the property owner, allowing the Tucson/Pima County HHW Program, to hold an outreach collection on their property. The letter must specify the collection date and times (allowing extra time for set-up and break-down) and must be signed by the property owner. Upon request, the property owner will receive an insurance certificate (proof of insurance). If the property owner is the City of Tucson or Pima County, a letter of permission is not required.
- Local area volunteers must be provided to assist during the outreach collection. The HHW Program will train new volunteers prior to working at an event.
Sponsors of collection events must also promote the event. Suggestions for promoting the collection event include the following:
- Prepare an announcement postcard for bulk mailing within the collection boundaries.
- Generate a news release for the media announcing the event.
- Generate an announcement for the local neighborhood association(s) newsletter.
- Generate an announcement for local retailers and/or major employers within the collection boundaries (if applicable).
- Generate posters or flyers to place in key public advertisement boards within the collection boundaries.
- Place electronic message board within the collection boundaries 1-week prior (optional).
- Place message banners within the collection boundaries 1-week prior (optional).
Fees for non-standard HHW collection events have established based on collection size by number of residential participants expected. The fee includes full cost recovery for expenses related to ES staff labor, trucks, canopy, operating and disposal supplies, disposal, and ES overhead costs. A service agreement will be prepared for each client.
Fee Schedule (pdf)