Presidio San Agustín del Tucson
133 W. Washington Street
Tucson, AZ 85701
Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Wednesday-Sunday
Contact: Tucson Parks and Recreation Northwest District
900 S. Randolph Way 85716
FAX: (520) 791-5887
Located downtown at Washington and Church Streets, the Presidio San Agustín del Tucson is a re-creation of the northeast corner of the original 1775 Spanish presidio. A self-guided tour explains features including a munitions room, torreón (tower), commissary, and living space for soldiers and their families. An open Hohokam pit house is found on site, along with an interpretation of features that came before the Hohokam period.
A beautiful mural depicts early residents of the Presidio. A Territorial-era plaza, zaguán (breezeway), and Sonoran-style streetscape are also featured. Original period row houses along Court Street contain an exhibit space and gift shop. Natural landscaping reflecting the period surrounds the outside walls, as well as a remnant of a boarding house that was located on the site. The presidio wall can also be traced as it existed downtown by following “adobes” set along the former wall path.
On some Saturdays from fall to spring, costumed volunteers from the Presidio Trust and Parks and Recreation docents hold “Living History” demonstrations on baking and cooking in the adobe horno (outdoor oven), food and medicine, spinning and weaving, woodworking and leathermaking. Spanish colonial soldiers also practice military drills.
The Presidio San Agustín del Tucson Garrison is looking for men who would like to interpret 18th Century soldiers. The Garrison portrays Catalonian volunteer light infantry, presidio soldiers and dragoons of Spain, all who occupied these walls at one time. Interested able-bodied individuals should contact Rick Collins through the Presidio at 837-8119, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presidio San Agustín del Tucson Living History Events:
(all are 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. except December 11)
October 9 and 10
December 11 (evening event)