2021/2022 CITY OF TUCSON'S SHARED MOBILITY PERMIT PROGRAM
APPLICATION MATERIALS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- 2021 Permit Application
- Attachment A: Permit Requirements
- Attachment B: Insurance Requirements
- Attachment C: Indemnity Agreement
- Attachment D: Device Servicer Certification
- Attachment E: Maps
2019 TUCSON'S E-SCOOTER PILOT PROGRAM
The City of Tucson is exploring new ways of providing flexible, affordable, and accessible multi-modal transportation options for all. To support this goal, and address the challenges introduced by new technologies, the City launched a 6-month Shared Mobility Pilot Program. The Pilot launched on September 12, 2019 with two operators: Bird and Razor. Each operator can deploy and up to 500 scooters (1,000 total), with the option of launching an additional 250 scooters in "opportunity zones" - characterized by a high percentage of low-income households without access to a motor vehicle.
PILOT PROGRAM: EVALUATION REPORT
PILOT PROGRAM: FACT SHEETS
PILOT PROGRAM: PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
- Pilot Program Overview
- Permit Requirements
- Insurance Requirements
- Indemnity Agreement
- Device Servicer Certification
- Opportunity Areas Map
MID-PILOT PROGRAM: ACTION PLANS
WHAT IS E-SCOOTER SHARE?
E-scooters emerged in 2017 as a new shared mobility service in the United States. Like bike share and car share, the service provides a shared vehicle – an electric-powered scooter – to rent for one-way trips.
HOW DOES E-SCOOTER SHARE WORK?
To begin a rental, users unlock a scooter through the company’s smartphone app. Some companies offer a call or text service to unlock for those without smartphones. To end a trip, users park the scooter on the sidewalk close to the curb and out of the pedestrian travel zone. Many companies require riders to confirm they have parked the e-scooter correctly by submitting a photo through the company’s app in order to end their rental.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
HOW TO REPORT A SCOOTER OR PROVIDE FEEDBACK
To report an improperly parked scooter or another issue, contact the relevant companies directly (company contact information is also on every e-scooter).
*Please note, per City of Tucson permit requirements, any e-scooter that is reported for being parked incorrectly is required to be promptly re-parked in a correct manner or removed by the operator within two hours of receiving notice.
PILOT PROGRAM QUESTIONS & FEEDBACK
For general questions or feedback about the Pilot Program, contact TDOT Concerns at 791-3154 or email@example.com
E-SCOOTER ACCESS & AFFORDABILITY
As part of the E-Scooter Pilot Program, scooter companies are required to offer discounted pricing for Tucsonans living on low incomes. Find information about each company’s discounted pricing plan, cash payment options, and non-smart phone options below:
- WHO QUALIFIES? Users currently enrolled in a state or federal assistance program, including but not limited to Arizona Medicaid/AHCCCS, SNAP, and discounted utility bills
- PRICE: Unlimited 30-minute rides for $5/month
- TO APPLY: Email proof of enrollment in a state or federal assistance program, along with full name and phone number, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Approval takes approximately 2 to 3 business days. More information is available HERE
- CASH-PAYMENT OPTION: Users can purchase prepaid Visa, Mastercard, and American Express debit cards using cash from retailers across Tucson (CVS, Walgreens, grocery stores, etc.) and use them to pay for Bird rides in the app or when using Bird’s SMS (text messaging) service
- NON-SMARTPHONE ACCESS: Bird offers a text-to-ride option for users without a smartphone. Email email@example.com or call 1.866.205.2442 to sign-up for SMS (text messaging) service
RAZOR AFFORDABILITY & CASH PAYMENT PROGRAM
- WHO QUALIFIES? Users who demonstrate eligibility for or participation in any federal, state or local assistance program (for example, Arizona Medicaid/AHCCCS, SNAP or utility bill discounts)
- PRICE: Unlock a scooter for $0.50 and ride for $0.15 per minute
- TO APPLY: Visit www.razor.com/share/affordability-program
- CASH-PAYMENT & NON-SMARTPHONE OPTIONS: Riders can rent a scooter from one of Razor's local warehouses for a fixed period of time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org