Defensive Driving Program - DDS
Arizona statutes allows you to remove one DDS-eligible traffic violation from your driving record every two years by completing Defensive Driving School (DDS). If you are eligible, the DDS Program is available for one DDS-eligible violation on your citation (complaint). All additional violations on your citation (complaint) must be processed through the court.
Advantages of Attending Defensive Driving School:
- You will not pay a fine for one DDS-eligible traffic violation
- You will not have to go to court for that violation
- That violation will be dismissed
- There are no points against your license for that violation
You may be eligible to attend Defensive Driving School (DDS) if you meet ALL of the following conditions:
- Your citation was for a DDS-eligible civil moving violation (no repair, insurance or registration violations)
- You have not attended DDS for any Arizona civil traffic violation in the last 24 months
- NOTE: Starting July 3, DDS can be used every 12 months.
- Your citation (complaint) was not issued as the result of a collision in which any person was seriously or fatally injured
- Your case is not set for a hearing
- You do not have a commercial driver license-CDL (CDL holders are not eligible for Defensive Driving School)
YOU MUST ENROLL AND COMPLETE DDS SEVEN (7) DAYS PRIOR TO THE APPEARANCE DATE INDICATED ON YOUR TRAFFIC CITATION (COMPLAINT)
You may ask the Court for more time to attend Defensive Driving School-DDS on or before your appearance date. You must pay a "DDS Extension Fee" of $17 at the time of your request, your request may be done:
IN-PERSON: 103 E Alameda, Public Services lobby, room 104, Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
o NOTE: DDS Extensions are no longer issued by phone.
Convictions of ARS 28-645A3A-Fail to Stop for Red Light or 28-647.1-Fail to Obey Flashing Red Stop Signal are required to attend Traffic Survival School (MVD requirement)
View the list of qualified Tucson City Court defensive driving schools, or call (888) 334-5565