As a defendant in a criminal trial in Tucson City Court, you have certain rights that are guaranteed:
- You have the right to hire an attorney at your own expense and have that attorney represent you at trial. You should know that the court will appoint an attorney to you only if the prosecutor is seeking jail time as part of your sentence, and the judge finds that you cannot afford an attorney.
- You have the right to a jury trial for certain crimes.
- You have the right to look at and make copies of all the evidence that the State will use against you at trial.
- You have a right to testify at court or to remain silent.
- You have a right to appeal the decision of the court after your trial has ended.