The A-Mountain Landfill is located between the Santa Cruz River and Mission Road at the eastern base of A-Mountain. This landfill was used for the disposal of municipal solid waste from 1953-1962. Today the City monitors five shallow landfill gas probes quarterly. The landfill is owned and maintained by the City of Tucson.
View this project on the Environmental Management Projects Map
The City is scheduled to conduct an annual closed landfill inspection and report during this quarter.
January, April, July, & October
The City conducts quarterly landfill gas monitoring at perimeter probes to monitor for methane migration beyond the property boundary. To date, no methane has been detected in perimeter probes.
December 4, 2012
The city completed the final report for Groundwater Monitoring in 2012 at the A-Mountain Landfill. This report provides an analysis of data collected between June 2011 and September 2012, and is available for download in the report section of this website.
The City completed the Comprehensive Landfill Investigation and Closed Landfill Inspection reports. This landfill is discussed in both of these reports. These reports are available in the report/attachment section of this website.
The City installed additional drainage improvements north of the landfill on Mission Lane.
As part of the Rio Nuevo project, the City graded and capped the landfill to improve drainage in the area.
The City installed three groundwater monitor wells and began routine monitoring.
The City installed shallow landfill gas monitor probes to monitor methane concentrations between the landfill and nearby homes and began routine monitoring.