The City of Tucson’s Environmental and General Services Department (EGSD) used to collect household hazardous waste (HHW) through an outreach event once a month, but they have been suspended since COVID-19 hit Southern Arizona. EGSD is bringing these collection events back, but with more options for residents.
Starting in January, EGSD will be hosting a collection event the second Saturday of every month and it will now be moving around the city. There will be two events in each ward throughout the year. EGSD is also adding document shredding at the monthly event (limit 3 boxes per vehicle).
The first event will be Jan. 9, 2021 at the Eastside Service Center at 7575 E. Speedway Blvd. (turn north on Prudence to enter the drop-off line) from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Residents can drop off HHW, electronic waste (E-waste), and paper documents for shredding at no charge.
Here is the schedule for 2021:
· Jan. 9 – Eastside Service Center – 7575 E Speedway Blvd
· Feb. 13 – Pima West Campus – 2202 W Anklam Rd
· March 13 – Pima East Campus – 8181 E Irvington Rd
· April 10 – Pima Downtown Campus – 1255 N Stone Ave
· May 8 – Price Service Center – 4004 S Park Ave
· June 12 – Hi Corbett – 700 S Randolph Way
· July 10 – Eastside Service Center 7575 E Speedway Blvd
· Aug. 14 – Pima West Campus – 2202 W Anklam Rd
· Sep. 11 – Pima East Campus – 8181 E Irvington Rd
· Oct. 9 – Pima Downtown Campus – 1255 N Stone Ave
· Nov. 13 – Price Service Center – 4004 S Park Ave
· Dec. 11 – Hi Corbett – 700 S Randolph Way
City residents can also drop off HHW at the Los Reales Landfill at 5300 E. Los Reales Rd. on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. To be eligible to drop off materials address verification is required. It is free for City of Tucson residents to drop materials off. Residents from Marana, Oro Valley, Sahuarita, and unincorporated Pima County will be charged a $10 fee to drop off materials.
HHW home pick-up is suspended due to COVID-19.
To see a list of what the HHW program accepts, go HERE. Medical waste, such as sharps, syringes or old medications is not allowed. Do not bring business or commercial waste, commercial gas cylinders, explosives or ammunition, infectious and radioactive waste, or televisions/CRT monitors.
Go HERE for more information on the program.