View or print the list of what to put in your blue bin.
Not sure if can go in your Blue Barrel? Use the Recycle Coach app to find the best place for all your unwanted stuff.
Put loose recyclables in your Blue Barrel to be picked up every other week. Not sure of your collection day? Go to our interactive map and type in your address for your recycling collection dates.
Guidelines for Blue Barrel Recycling
- No plastic grocery bags
- No garbage
- Please make sure materials are clean, empty and dry
- Set out your blue barrel for collection when it is more than half full to decrease fuel consumption and air pollution
- Have barrel at curb by 6 a.m. to ensure service
- Leave labels on containers
- Bottle and jar caps and lids can be recycled, but should be left on the container
- Lightly rinse food containers. Use water wisely - throw very dirty items into the garbage
- All recyclables go loose into the blue barrel, together - - no sorting! Please put them in individually, not inside a box or bag
- Do not flatten cans and bottles to ensure sorting equipment works properly
- Cut or flatten corrugated cardboard boxes to fit in container. Remove plastic wrapping and liners
- Shredded paper may be recycled in the Blue Barrel if it is secured in a clear plastic bag.
NOTE: This is the only time that plastic bags can go in the recycling container.
Thanks for saving resources, energy and landfill space by Doing More Blue.
On Sept. 30, residential recycling went from being collected every week to every other week.
Why the change?
- Increased efficiency in recycling collections
- Reduced costs = sustainable recycling program
- Reduced carbon footprint
Recycling Service Schedule
Each pick-up day has been divided into A WEEK and B WEEK. To help provide a smooth transition, service maps have been developed in an effort to easily identify service boundaries. Properties north of a major roadway will be serviced during "A" service weeks and properties south of the identifying roadway will be serviced during "B" service weeks.
What's my schedule?
You can view the service areas by day and week and type in your address to find your specific collection through our interactive story map.
A bill insert with a map and schedule will be in the September bill, and each resident will receive a direct mail piece with their collection schedule and map.
Neighborhood Recycling Centers
The City of Tucson has seven Neighborhood Recycling Centers where residents can drop off any materials accepted in the Blue Barrel. These centers provide an additional option for times you may generate more recyclables than normal. These are also available to residents who live in multi-family apartment or townhome communities that do not have regular recycling collections.