Resources for HCV (Section 8) landlords partnering with the City of Tucson.
Welcome to HCD's new Section 8 Landlords page. Access to the portal is still here and can be found at the top of the page. If you have any questions, please Contact Us.
Interested in accepting HCV (Section 8) participants in Tucson? Click here for more information.
Jump to a Topic
When inspections are required
- Before a new participant moves in (called an initial)
- Biennial or special
- Quality Control Inspections (for more information see below and/or read [24 CRF 982.405(B)]
Quality Control Inspections
Inspection Extension Requests
- Parts/service not available
- Weather conditions
- Reasonable accommodation for a family with a disability
A request to extend must be placed in writing stating:
- Unit address
- Family name
- Reason for extension request
The City of Tucson will have 10 days to respond to the extension.
If an owner fails to correct HQS deficiencies by the time specified by the PHA, HUD requires the PHA to abate the housing assistance payments no later than the first of the month following the specified correction period (including any approved extension) [24 CFR 985.3(f)].
No retroactive payments will be made to the owner for the period the rent was abated. Owner rents are not abated as a result of HQS failures that are the family’s responsibility.
When a unit goes into abatement, the unit will be inspected every year until the unit passes two consecutive HQS inspections the first time.
During an abatement, the family continues to pay their portion of the rent but are not responsible for the PHA portion.
A landlord is unable to evict for the PHA portion.
Questions on Inspections
Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contracts
The Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract is between the City of Tucson and landlord. There is a HAP Contract for each HCV participant that the landlord has a lease with.
- Make sure you get the HAP contract to the City of Tucson ASAP
- The HAP terms need to end on the last day of the month
- View the HAP here
Landlord briefings consist of HCD-hosted informational workshops, for new, existing, or interested HCV landlords. Housing and Community Development staff highlight benefits, explain the program in detail and answer any questions.
Contact Fernando Moraga at firstname.lastname@example.org for briefing dates and times.
View the City of Tucson Housing and Community Development Housing Choice Voucher Program Landlord Briefing PowerPoint presentation.
Contract Rent Increase and Changes in Utility Responsibilities
After the initial occupancy period, the owner may request a rent adjustment one time per year, at least 60 days prior to the anniversary of the HAP Contract. [CFR 982.507]
Please reference Rent Increase Request form.
Part C to the HAP Contract, #4 Rent to Owner, b. states:
Unit transfers within the property must be approved by the PHA and go through the same Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) process as the initial unit.
Unit transfers are treated like new move ins; a 60-day notice is required and a new RTA packet will need to be filled out by the landlord and submitted for approval and inspection.
Landlord Portal Service
Access the Landlord Portal
In the Landlord Portal, landlords can look up 12 months of payments and can also see a listing of:
- Inspection notices
- Inspection results
All active landlords will receive a letter in the mail providing a registration code to register for access to the portal.
Locked out of the portal? Email email@example.com.
If you are a managing agent responsible for properties with contracts associated with more than on Tax ID #, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you to set up your managing agent role on the portal.
Payments are processed on the 5th Business day of each month
Forms and Reference Materials
- Property Listing Form (AffordableHousing.com, formerly GoSection8 form)
- Inspection Checklist
- Notice to Vacate
- Contract Rent Increase Form
- Payment Standards (effective November 1, 2021)
- Utility Allowance Schedules (select proper form, based on your property type)
- Request for Tenancy Approval form SAMPLE (how to fill out the RTA)
- How to Fill Out the RTA (with instructions)
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract
- Fair Market Rents FY2021
- Fair Market Rents FY2022
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form
- Change of Ownership Packet
- Landlord Tenant Act
- HUD's HCV Landlord Program Guidebook
HCV Landlord Helpful Hints
- If there has been a management change or ownership change for your property, contact email@example.com
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) payments can be found in the Landlord Portal
- Initial lease or renewal leases signed by landlord and participant must be submitted to City of Tucson ASAP to ensure timely payment
- Contract Rent increases must meet rent reasonableness and require PHA approval
- Changes in utilities responsibility require a new HAP Contract
- If you need to set up a portal account, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
List Your Unit on AffordableHousing.com
List your unit
Fernando Moraga (520) 837-5019