Dependent Gains Other Coverage

You are able to drop your dependent from coverage mid-year if your dependent has gained coverage elsewhere either through an employer-sponsored plan, Medicare, or through a Medicaid plan such as AHCCCS.  

You may drop your dependent from any coverage your dependent has gained (example: medical, dental, etc.). 


Please fax your completed paperwork to us at 791-5942. Call (or email) after you fax to make sure we received it.

Within 31 days of the date your dependent gains other coverage (60 days for AHCCCS), the Benefits Office must receive:

1. A properly completed Change Form and

2. Proof of newly gained coverage.  The proof must be on letterhead (either from the insurance company or from an employer) and must include:

  • Dependent’s name
  • Type of coverage being gained (medical, dental, etc.)
  • Date the coverage begins
    • If documentation is a letter from an employer, it must include the name, contact information and signature of the person in the HR benefits area who prepared the letter, so that we can confirm, as needed. 
    • If documentation is from an online system, it must clearly show that coverage is through an employer's plan (as opposed to a private plan)


The coverage under your plan would end the last day of the month during which your dependent gained the new coverage; however, if your dependent gained coverage the first day of a month, the change would go into effect that same day.



Insurance Handbook

Coverage Information

  • Visit our Medical page for Summaries of Benefits and Coverage (SBCs).  You are also able to obtain hard copies of SBCs free of charge by requesting them from the Benefits Office (520-791-4597).



Thank you.

Your Insurance Benefits Team