In order to remove your ex-spouse from City of Tucson insurance, the following must be completed within 31 days after the date of your divorce:
1. Request the change via the online enrollment system
- Once you log in, click on “life events”, then “divorce”
- Continue through the steps until you reach a “thank you” screen.
- Review your Confirmation Statement to make sure your desired changes have been recorded.
2. Fax the Benefits Office the date stamped page and the signature page of your divorce decree (usually the first and last pages prior to any addendums or attachments)
- Our fax number is 791-5942
- Please be sure to call (or email) after you fax to make sure we received it.
3. Provide us with your ex-spouse's mailing address. We are required by federal law to send information about continuing coverage independently.
WHEN WILL THE CHANGES TAKE EFFECT?
You ex-spouse’s coverage would end the last day of the month during which your divorce is finalized. For example, if your divorce date is December 10, coverage would end December 31.
I'LL BE LOSING COVERAGE UNDER MY SPOUSE'S PLAN
If you are wishing to enroll in any City coverage due to losing coverage through your ex-spouse’s plan, that is actually a separate life event, and additional documentation would be required. Please visit our information about Employee/Retiree Loses Other Qualifying Coverage.
- Updating your life insurance beneficiary information is part of the online process outlined above.
- Remember that you have beneficiaries in more than one place with the City, so you will also want to update information with:
Change your name with your department payroll clerk. The information will feed to the insurance carriers about two weeks after your payroll clerk updates the information in the City's payroll system.
TSRS: Contact 520-791-4598, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.tucsonaz.gov/retirement; your new information will feed to the online enrollment system (and the insurance carriers) about two weeks later after the Retirement Office updates your information in the City's payroll system.
PSPRS: Fax us a copy of your new Social Security card; also contact the State PSPRS Benefits Office at 602-255-5575.
Remember that the EAP is available 24/7/365.
- Visit our Medical page for Summaries of Benefits and Coverage (SBCs). You are also able to obtain hard copies of SBCs free of charge by requesting them from the Benefits Office (520-791-4597).
Your Insurance Benefits Team