Tucson Parks and Recreation is piloting a new, streamlined, swim lesson registration process for ages 6 months to 17 years!
Swim lessons locations and times will be available in early May.
|How to Register for Swim Lessons||Find a Pool with Swim Lessons (Map and List)|
|Sessions||Links to Online Registration|
|Registration Fees||Learn-to-Swim Program Skill Levels|
- Select the location and attendance time.
- Select the previous skill level passed. (Review the individual skill levels descriptions and requirements below before registering. Staff will place children at a level based on what you have submitted so be as accurate as possible.)
- Complete registration and pay online. (Registration fees are non-refundable.)
Note: Each child's swimming ability will be assessed on the first day of lessons and they may be moved into a different level that will best benefit the child. Their new level may not be able to be accommodated at the same location and time as previously registered.
|Session||Online Registration (EZEEreg)||Walk-In Registration (at the pool)|
|Session 1: June 3-14||May 9-28||May 30-June 2|
|Session 2: June 17-28||June 6-11||June 13-16|
|Session 3: July 1-12 (no class July 4)||June 20-25||June 27-30|
|Session 4: July 15-26||July 5-9||July 11-14|
- Swim lessons are $15 for each 2-week session.
- For those who qualify for the Discount Program, swim lessons are $2 for each 2-week session (available to the first 1,400 registrants).
- Registration Fees are non-refundable.
Class Locations and Times Available Early May
|Address||Link to Online Registration|
|Amphitheater||125 W. Yavapai Rd.||Register at this location|
|Archer||1665 S. La Cholla Blvd.||Register at this location|
|Catalina||2005 N. Dodge Blvd.||Register at this location|
|Clements||8155 E. Poinciana Dr.||Register at this location|
|Edith Ball ARC||3455 E. Zoo Court||Register at this location|
|El Pueblo||5100 S. Missiondale Rd.||Register at this location|
|Escalante||6835 E. Barrow St.||Register at this location|
|Fort Lowell||2900 N. Craycroft Rd.||Register at this location|
|Freedom||5000 E. 29th St.||Register at this location|
|Himmel||950 N. Tucson Blvd.||Register at this location|
|Jacobs||1020 W. Lind St.||Register at this location|
|Jesse Owens||450 S. Sarnoff Dr.||Register at this location|
|Kennedy||3700 S. Mission Rd.||Register at this location|
|Mansfield||2275 N. 4th Ave.||Register at this location|
|Menlo||1060 W. Fresno St.||Register at this location|
|Oury||600 W. St. Mary's Rd.||Register at this location|
|Palo Verde||355 S. Mann Ave.||Register at this location|
|Purple Heart||9800 E. Rita Rd.||Register at this location|
|Sunnyside||1725 E. Bilby Rd.||Register at this location|
|Udall||7200 E. Tanque Verde Rd.||Register at this location|
American Red Cross swimming lessons are offered at all City of Tucson pools. Lessons are offered in four, 2-week sessions during June and July. Schedules vary from pool to pool. Classes are scheduled in response to demand, with an emphasis on classes for the youngest children.
- Parent and Child Classes: For ages 6 Months to 3 Years - Parents are taught to safely work with their children in the water as they learn the skills to help prepare them to learn how to swim. In-water participation by parent or other care-giving adult is required for each child. Children almost 4 years old who complete Parent-Child Lessons may advance to Preschool Lessons with instructor recommendation.
- Preschool Classes: For ages about 4 or 5 Years - Classes of approximately 6 children work with an instructor as they learn to safely enter and exit the water, make progress through the water using arms and legs, and float and recover. All skills are performed with instructor support. Parents observe from an area away from poolside. Children who are nearly 6 and complete Preschool Lessons may advance to Learn-to-Swim Level 2 or 3 Classes with instructor recommendation.
- Summer Swim Lessons: For Children about 6 Years and Older
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills - Children who have not completed Preschool Classes learn to safely enter and exit the water, make progress through the water using arms and legs, and float and recover. All skills are performed with instructor support.
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills - Children perform Level 1 skills, swimming several body lengths without instructor support.
- Level 3: Stroke Development - Children learn the front crawl and elementary backstroke, swimming each 15 yards, and are introduced to the scissors and dolphin kicks and treading water.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement - Swimmers practice front crawl and elementary backstroke and are introduced to sidestroke, back crawl, breaststroke, butterfly, and turning at the wall.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement - Swimmers practice front crawl, back crawl, butterfly, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, and sidestroke over increasing distances and are introduced to flip turns.
- Level 6: Advanced Classes -Specialty classes in Swimming and Skill Proficiency, Personal Water Safety, Fundamentals of Diving, or Fitness. Area of focus determined by Pool Supervisor.