Information for Development Professionals

This page contains information about the following resources available to industry professionals:


Self-Certification by Design Professionals

This program allows a registered design professional to certify that plans prepared by them meet the requirements of all applicable building codes.  It allows the building owner and project designer the opportunity to evaluate the risks involved and elect to self certify projects within the scope of the policy or use our traditional plan review services.

The program is limited to:

  • Buildings and structures covered by the International Residential Code
  • New commercial construction and alterations except for the following:
    • Model plans
    • Buildings and structures exceeding two stories in height
    • Buildings and structures exceeding 24,000 square feet in area
    • Buildings and structures classified as Hazardous (H) Occupancy Group
    • Civic assembly occupancies (A4 & A5)
    • Electrical services exceeding 400 amperes or 22,000 amperes available fault current
    • Projects located in FEMA Special Floodplain Hazard Areas, Historic Preservation Zones, or Neighborhood Preservation Zones
In order to participate in the program applicants must:
  • Be currently registered as an architect or structural engineer with the State of Arizona for at least three years
  • Maintain current certification from the International Code Council as a Commercial Building Plans Examiner and be pre-screened by the City of Tucson or successful, current completion of selfcertification training from the City of Phoenix Planning & Development Department
For a complete description of the program, please review the policy document below.
Related Documents:


Third Party Building Plan Review

Applicants are allowed to obtain third party plan review for building codes from the following agencies. Please note that zoning, fire, and other reviews not related to building codes must still be completed by the City of Tucson.

  • Bureau Veritas
  • Brown & Associates
  • SAFEBuilt
  • Stantec
  • Willdan

Residential Equipment Replacement Permitting

Plumbing and mechanical contractors can become self-certified through the Arizona Construction Trades organization in order to obtain permits for water heater replacements and HVAC system replacements at a reduced cost. 

Self Certified Inspection Program 


Other Resources

Pima County Health Department

Pima County Waste Water

City of Tucson Business License info