This page contains information about the following resources available to industry professionals:
- Self-Certification by Design Professionals
- Velocity Hall Permit Manager (for licensed contractors)
- Third Party Building Plan Review
- Residential Equipment Replacement Permitting
Self-Certification by Design Professionals
This program allows a registered design professional to certify that plans prepared by them meet the requirements of all applicable building codes. It allows the building owner and project designer the opportunity to evaluate the risks involved and elect to self certify projects within the scope of the policy or use our traditional plan review services.
The program is limited to:
- Buildings and structures covered by the International Residential Code
- New commercial construction and alterations except for the following:
- Model plans
- Buildings and structures exceeding two stories in height
- Buildings and structures exceeding 24,000 square feet in area
- Buildings and structures classified as Hazardous (H) Occupancy Group
- Civic assembly occupancies (A4 & A5)
- Electrical services exceeding 400 amperes or 22,000 amperes available fault current
- Projects located in FEMA Special Floodplain Hazard Areas, Historic Preservation Zones, or Neighborhood Preservation Zones
- Be currently registered as an architect or structural engineer with the State of Arizona for at least three years
- Maintain current certification from the International Code Council as a Commercial Building Plans Examiner and be pre-screened by the City of Tucson or successful, current completion of selfcertification training from the City of Phoenix Planning & Development Department
The City of Tucson's Velocity Hall program will be unavailable starting November 1, 2020. After this date, customers will not be able to schedule inspections online. If you need an inspection, please call 520-791-3111 to schedule using a phone. You will need your permit number and inspection item number listed on your permit card. All inspection items start will a zero (0) to create a five digit code.
If you previously used Velocity Hall to obtain your trade permits, please submit your permit application using Filedrop.
We are working rapidly to resolve this issue and hope to have a solution in place very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
This is a service (restricted to Licensed Contractors) that can be used to obtain simple permits online that do not require plan review and to pay associated permit fees by credit card. It can also be used to research permit information, or to schedule or cancel an inspection.
First Time Registration (PDF)
Applying for a Permit (PDF)
My Permit Manager (PDF)
Third Party Building Plan Review
Applicants are allowed to obtain third party plan review for building codes from the following agencies. Please note that zoning, fire, and other reviews not related to building codes must still be completed by the City of Tucson.
- Bureau Veritas
- Brown & Associates
Residential Equipment Replacement Permitting
Plumbing and mechanical contractors can become self-certified through the Arizona Construction Trades organization in order to obtain permits for water heater replacements and HVAC system replacements at a reduced cost.