PDSD Records - FAQ's


What is a public record?
Permanent Public records as defined by Arizona Revised Statutes Title 41-151.18 - Definition of records as records of a local government entity made, received or kept in the performance of a duty.

What records are available from PDSD Records?
The following public records are available and can be requested at our office:

  • Building permits from 1991 to current
  • Commercial Building plans from 1991 to current
  • Residential plans from 1991 to current 
  • Plot plans for houses in residential subdivisions from 1997 to current
  • Civil improvement plans
  • Community Design Review Committee (CDRC) information is available by case number.  The files date back to 1990.
  • Miscellaneous Information is also available.  Examples are lot splits, site plans, board cases.

What Records are Not available from PDSD?

  • Information on property outside the Tucson city limits, built on or in the county before city annexation.
  • Public buildings such as State, Federal and City owned property that are exempt based on Homeland Security laws.
  • Sewer information - Pima County Wastewater management operates the sewer system in the metropolitan Tucson area, including the City of Tucson. For information, call (520)740-6500.
  • Septic Information - Pima County Department of Environmental Quality is the authority on septic systems. For information, call (520) 740-3340.
  • Current Ownership - check with the Pima County Assessor’s Office at (520) 740-8369 or (520) 724-8630.
  • Square Footage - For the square footage legally on record check with the Pima County Assessor’s Office at (520) 740-8369.

What are your fees for copies?
Our fee schedule is outlined here.

What is the process for getting copies of my house plans?
The City is required to maintain copies of the approved permit set of residential drawings for 3 yrs from date of final inspection (Note: this new retention schedule was established in 2008 and many houses built prior to 1997 are not available). These records are available for viewing at any time during our office hours. We will need your legal name and address in order to provide copies of plans or documents.

  • What do my House Plans show?
    House plans provide information related to the foundation, framing, electricity, plumbing and heating/air conditioning.  For houses built as part of a residential subdivision, PDSD Records only maintains a single set of plans for each model of house.  (Note: the plans on file with the city are not “as-builts”, meaning that there may be small discrepancies between what is shown on the plans and what was actually built). Revisions may be found under the address to a model plan.
  • What if the City no longer has my house plans on file?
    The owner should contact the original builder to request copies through them.  If you do not know who your original builder was, PDSD Records may be able to provide this information.

Are Commercial Building Plans available?
Plans for commercial building are available for viewing during regular business hours.  In accordance with NRS 239C (Homeland Security), copies cannot be made of certain commercial building unless:

  • by court order
  • if the requestor is a contractor, engineer working on a project at the site
  • without the written consent of the Tucson Police Department

Are permit records available on-line?
Information is available for active building permits. You must know the permit number or exact address. Go to the Tucson PRO - Property Research Online  to access this information.

How do I get a copy of Civil Plans or Hydrology Studies?
Copies of Civil Plans are available at PDSD Records. The customer will need to know the major cross streets of the project and/or the name of the project. Hydrology Studies may not be available, contact the Engineer of record who produced the plans. 

How do I get a copy of a permit or a Certificate of Occupancy?
Permits and/or Certificates of Occupancy are available at PDSD Records during normal business hours. The customer will need to know the property address.  (Note: Commercial Remodels do not receive a Certificate of Occupancy unless the building use changes).

I have an expired permit on my property, what do I need to re-open the permit?
You will need to submit copies of the permit, inspection card, and any plans and/or calculations approved by the City for this permit.  PDSD Records may be able to provide you with these copies. If no copies are found, you will need to have new plans drawn to scale showing the “As-Built” work and have them reviewed by the PDSD Plan Reviewers.   You will also need to contact the Building Permit staff to re-open the permit.

How long does it take to get a copy of a record?
Many records are available on Microfiche or by digital format in PDSD Records and may be produced while you wait. We will assist you with the use of the microfilm viewers and marking any documents you may wish to have copied. We will also assist you with the new Property Research Online (PRO) system that you may use at home. (Please note: a release form will need to be signed for any copies being requested and there is a charge for copies.)

  •  Records of current or recently built property (2008 or newer) may not be immediately available until digitally scanned by Records staff. Check Tucson PRO - Property Research Online to access this information.

How do I determine if there are any building code violations? PDSD will check an address for you prior to starting a new permit. If any open violations are found they must be cleared up before new work can begin. In some instances, the violation work may be combined into the new permit and inspected. (Additional fees may apply). Also note that the Building Department of PDSD only performs inspections in conjunction with an open permit).

I lost my plans, how do I get copies made for the jobsite?
PDSD Records will produce a jobsite copy of the plans for your project for a fee. Please contact us during our normal business hours.