The purpose of the Remote Inspection Program is to provide an alternative to on-site inspection for situations requiring more prompt service or when a specific inspection time is desired. The program requires a client to use the Skype app on a 4G smart phone in order to interact with the City inspector. The inspection process is as follows: Clients schedule a remote inspection through our calendaring service; the inspector initiates a Skype call to the client; the inspector directs the client to send video images of the work that needs to be inspected ; and the inspection results are entered in our system for client to view on our web site.
- Rooftop Solar (photovoltaic)
- Electrical Service Upgrades
- Electrical Reconnects
- Water Heaters
- Gas Line Installations
- Parking Shade Structures
- Detached Storage Sheds
If you feel your project would benefit from this program but is not on the list above, please contact our Inspection Manager to discuss the opportunity for us to better serve your needs.
Note: Based on the size and/or complexity of the project it may not be possible to complete the inspection via the Remote Inspection Program. In that case, the remote inspector will partially approve the inspection and make every effort to route a field inspector to complete the inspection the same day. If this is not possible the inspector will schedule a field inspection for the next business day.
4G wireless service
Ensure your inspection location has 4G connectivity and your smart phone or tablet has 4G connectivity. Note that 3G connectivity may not provide the speed and clarity required to complete the inspection. If this is the case, the inspector may change the inspection request status to not-ready, partial, or failed as applicable. See item 8 below.
Set up Skype
Download Skype on to your smart phone and create a Skype account. Remember your Skype name, you will need it later when setting up your appointment.
- Android iPhone
(Note: the above links are to Skype. "Skype for Business" is not supported at this time.)
Prior to scheduling, ensure that the necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. For example, carry a tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder (for close ups of ceiling), etc.
- Visit our calendaring service. Click here for step by step instructions for the calendaring service.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. First time users will be prompted to create a profile.
- For first time users, City staff will send you a Skype contact request based on the Skype name you entered in your AppointmentPlus profile. (Click here for help finding your Skype Name.) Please respond to this request prior to your scheduled inspection time
- You may also receive a contact request each time a different inspector will be doing your inspection. Please respond to these requests prior to your scheduled inspection time.
- You will be prompted to enter the permit number and the requested inspection numbers. These numbers are located on your permit.
- Make sure the smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Respond to any Skype contact request received from City Staff.
- Be ready to accept video call at scheduled time.
- Have the required tools (See item 3 above for examples).
- Turn off phone notifications that may interrupt the Skype call. This is an important step because notifications freeze the Skype call and will cause delays to the inspection.
- iPhone iOS 8.4 in Settings:
- Tap on "Do Not Disturb"
- Set the "Manual" slider button to be green
- Scroll down to "Silence"
- Tap next to "Always" to add a check mark
- Android OS 5: in Settings:
- Tap Sounds and Notifications,
- Under Notifications section, "Do Not Disturb, tap "Off
- (Remember to turn back on after your inspection.)
- iPhone iOS 8.4 in Settings:
- Use ear buds with microphone to improve communication.
- Make sure power tools and equipment are not running so that the call audio is clear.
- Set your phone so that you have the small screen of what the inspector sees:
- Tap the Skype screen to access the tool bar
- Tap the camera icon
- In the small view the inspector sees, tap the reverse camera icon
- Begin inspection at street view looking at structure.
- The address must show in the initial view
- Follow the directions of the inspector
- Walk inspection in clockwise direction horizontally.
- Walk inspection from bottom to top vertically (if multiple floors).
- Make note of any correction items.
The inspector will tell you if the inspection passed. Congratulations!
- The inspector will update our permitting system after the Skype call is completed. These comments will be available on our web site.
- The inspector will assess an additional fee for re-inspections, if applicable
- If applicable, pay fee on-line prior to scheduling re-inspection. Use the right banner Online Payment button
- Scheduling of same day reinspections is based on availability of time slots in the calendaring service. Your inspector may provide the option for you to send a correction video or photos to ?