Residential Permits


NOTE: Applications, forms, and checklists available on this page are in the process of being updated as part of the permitting system upgrade. For more information, please contact or visit our FAQ page about TDC Online.

Permits Required

A permit and inspections are required for most residential projects including porches, additions, and equipment such as air conditioners and water heaters. If new work is performed such as replacement of gas piping, a plan may be necessary to obtain the permit.

It is the homeowner/property owner’s responsibility to provide plans and obtain a permit for:

  • All new residential buildings
  • Electrical reconnections, service increases, panel replacement or repair
  • Gas lines pressure tests (new or replacement lines)
  • Water heater installation (including replacements)
  • Furnaces, Heat Pumps, Air Conditioners (new or replacement) & Evaporative Coolers (new only) NOTE: Load and sizing calculations are required for new AND replacement HVAC equipment
  • All residential walls or fences must have a site plan review for Zoning Compliance. Additionally, walls and fences over 7 feet tall require a building permit with a structural engineered design.
  • Detached accessory structures over 200 square feet (e.g. Storage Sheds).
  • Porches, additions or garages
  • Remodeling of existing structures

Planning and Development Services can review construction plans submitted by the customer but we cannot design the plans for you. If you need help in designing a plan you will need to contact a design professional. All plans are required to be neat, legible and well organized. 

Rental units are considered commercial property and all commercial permits require a licensed contractor.

When you submit your plans they will be reviewed by different staff to determine compliance with building codes, zoning codes, floodplain regulations, fire safety and other topics. Be sure to review applicable codes as you design your project. 

It is possible to obtain a permit for work that has already occurred. However, the same requirements will apply to include a full set of construction drawings and completed inspections. A permit authorizes work to be done so if the project has already begun, please discontinue work until you obtain your permit.

Reconnect Permits

A permit is required to reconnect electric or gas service to a residence. This is sometimes referred to as "jurisdictional clearance" by utility companies. Reconnect permits are required if the utility has been shut off to a residential structure for 6 consecutive months. The permit cost is $99.00 which covers administrative and inspection costs. If you are installing water or gas piping, a drawing must be submitted that identifies the size and length of all piping. Include the Gas Piping Template found below with your application.

We inspect for any obvious code violations relating to the utility being connected or other life safety hazards are addressed prior to approving release of electrical power or gas to the premises.

We recommend that you review the Electrical Reconnect Guidelines and pre-inspect the dwelling prior to your inspection. New equipment is not considered a reconnect and will be charged according to the proposed work.

Owner/Builder Affidavit

Please use the Owner/Builder Affidavit form if you are exempt from Arizona contractors' license laws on the basis of the license exemptions contained in A.R.S §32-1121.A, namely:

  • A.R.S §32-1121.A.5 – I am the owner/builder of the property and the property will not be sold or rented for at least 1 year after completion of this project.
  • A.R.S §32-1121.A.6 – I am the owner/developer of this property and I will contract with a licensed general contractor to provide all construction services. All contractors’ names and license numbers will be included in all sales documents.

Residential Solar

All residential solar projects that meet the criteria are encouraged to apply using the new Solar One Stop for same day permitting.

The Solar One Stop is a collaborative effort between Pima County Development Services Department and the City of Tucson Planning and Development Services Department, with the assistance of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) to streamline the permitting of residential photovoltaic arrays.

Criteria: Residential solar projects are eligible as long as they are attached to a roof and are NOT located in a Historic Preservation Zone (HPZ) or Neighborhood Preservation Zone (NPZ). If your property is in an HPZ or NPZ please apply through our Online Building Permit Application

Process: For additional information about the process and to submit your application through the Solar One Stop, please click here.

Please note that customers using the Solar One Stop, whether they are located in the City or the County, apply to Pima County for an electrical/mechanical building permit, and schedule inspections with the County.

Casitas/Accessory Dwelling Units

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs, or casitas) are now allowed in Tucson. One unit is allowed per residential lot. Each casita must comply with the applicable regulations regarding maximum size, height, and other standards.

Use this worksheet to learn more about the regulations, and the process to design and permit a casita

Building Permit Requirements

All submissions should use Tucson Development Center Online.                       

Residential Plan Requirements & Checklist                               

Other materials that may be required:

Floor Plan Example

Plot Plan Sample

Site Plan Example

Addition Sample

Porch Sample

Garage Sample

Demolition of a Structure


Demolition Confirmation Notice Statement

Electrical Work

Electrical Reconnect Guidelines                                                       

Gas Piping Policy

Gas Piping Template

Gas Piping Template - SAMPLE

Mechanical Work

Mechanical Upgrade Template

Adult and Child Care

Child Daycare Checklist     

Lista de Articulos para Guarderia

Adopted Codes and Ordinances

Make sure that your plans comply with currently adopted codes:

City of Tucson Building Codes and Ordinances

Common Code References

Inclusive Home Design Ordinance Summary

Water and Energy Conservation

Outdoor Lighting Calculation