NOTICE: The Sign Code Sunset Date is scheduled for a Public Hearing with the City of Tucson Mayor and Council on December 8, 2020. The meeting will be held at or after 5:30PM.
The public hearings will be conducted online. You may view the public hearings at https://www.tucsonaz.gov/gov/mayor-and-council-live.
The materials for that meeting may be accessed from the Mayor and Council Agenda Page, as they become available.
The public will have two options to provide comment to the Mayor and Council:
- Members of the public may submit written comments on any items scheduled as a public hearing. To do so, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include the individual’s name, and the agenda item for comment. The comments will be limited to no more than 500 words. Comments must be received by no later than 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 7, 2020.
- Individuals wishing to speak during the public hearing (subject to technological availability) will join the meeting via teleconference. You must submit a written request to email@example.com. The email should include your name, and the phone # you will use for the teleconference. The phone # will be used to identify the individual when/if being called upon to speak. Once your request to speak has been received by the City Clerk, you will be provided instructions on how to connect to the teleconference. Requests to speak must be submitted no later than 12:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 8, 2020.
On December 5, 2017, Mayor and Council adopted amendments to City of Tucson Sign Code, moved those regulations into the Unified Development Code (UDC), and set an effective date of February 1, 2018 with an 18 month sunset date. The addition of the sunset date of August 31, 2019 was included so that staff could review the efficacy of the amendments. On July 9, 2019, Mayor and Council extended the sunset date on Ordinance #11508 related to the Sign Code Revision Project, for 12 months from August 31, 2019 to August 31, 2020.
Please find the materials related to the revisions adopted in 2017 here: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/pdsd/projects/sign-code-revision-project
The following page has been created to allow for materials related to the public process to review the sign code sunset date to be easily accessed.
Materials for January 28th and 29th Public Meetings
- Matrix of Revisions dated 1.28.20
- Table of Proposed Text Changes - 1.28.20
- UDC Redline of All Proposed Text Changes - 1.28.20
- Powerpoint Presentation
Meeting Agendas / LARs / Minutes
|Meeting Agendas||Meeting Legal Action Reports|
|December 19, 2019|
|January 23, 2020|
|February 6, 2020|
December 5, 2019 SDRC Meeting Materials
- Attachment A – Ordinance #11508 adopting Section 7A Sign Standards
- Attachment B – July 9, 2019 Mayor and Council Materials Related to the Sign Code Sunset Date
- Attachment C1 – Proposed Amendments to the Unified Development Code
- Attachment C2 - Companion Document for Proposed Amendments
December 19, 2019 SDRC Meeting Materials
January 23, 2020 SDRC Meeting Materials
February 6, 2020 SDRC Meeting Materials
All Planning Commission materials related to the Sign Code Revision project are located here: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/pdsd/planning-commission
All Sign Design Review Committee materials related to the Sign Code Revision project are located here: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/pdsd/sign-design-review-committee
Additional Meeting Information
The Sign Code Sunset Date will be reviewed by the Sign Design Review Committee (SDRC) for their recommendation prior to being presented to the Planning Commission. The following is a tentative schedule for the meetings:
Meeting 1 – Thursday, December 5, 2019 (1pm-3pm)
Meeting 2 – Thursday, December 19, 2019 (1pm-3pm)
Meeting 3 – Thursday, January 9, 2019 (1pm-3pm)
Meeting 4 – Thursday, January 23, 2019 (1pm-3pm)
If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback, please email SignCodeRevisionProject@tucsonaz.gov.