Eight Tucson Police Officers have died while helping protect the community since 1892.
May 8th the Tucson Police Department took a moment to both remember and honor those officers killed while on the job. Each one of them is leaving behind a legacy.
Tucson Police Officer Erik Hite is the most recent officer to have died in the line of duty back in 2008. Since then a foundation has been created in his name to help law enforcement families on a close personal level.
Police Chief Roberto Villasenor as well as Captain Ramon Batista were among the speakers.
The Honor Guard did the posting of the colors. Roses and wreaths were laid to remember all eight officers. And there was also a video tribute and rifle salute to honor the heroes. The memorial was open to the public.
The fallen heroes, who were honored at the event include:
· Officer William Elliott - July 3, 1892
· Officer William Katzenstein - July 26, 1902
· Officer Robert Cummins - September 7, 1936
· Officer Barry Headricks - October 28, 1974
· Officer James Smith - October 28, 1980
· Officer Jeffrey Ross - February 18, 1982
· Officer Patrick K. Hardesty - May 26, 2003
· Officer Erik D. Hite - June 2, 2008
A gallery of images is available online: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/police/police-memorial-service-2014