Tucson Police Explorer Post 180 has been serving the City of Tucson and the surrounding community since 1967. The program offers young men and women a chance to challenge themselves mentally and physically while working with active members of Tucson Police Department.
Meetings are held at the Tucson Police Department Main Station located downtown at 270 S. Stone Avenue. Once a year (budget permitting) the Explorer Program offers a one-week training course at the Tucson Police Academy. There, Explorers study Law Enforcement techniques and build physical fitness.
Explorers also compete at Regional Explorer competitions located around the Southwest.
As an Explorer You Will...
- Get to earn a Tucson Police Explorer uniform
- Work with Police Officers, Detectives and Supervisors
- Learn how to march and be a part of an Explorer squad
- Learn about different units within the Tucson Police Department such as: Police Motors, K9 Unit, S.W.A.T. Team, Police Communications, Records, Crime Scene and many more
- Practice police tactics such as: building searches, radio procedures, traffic stops, report writing, crime scene investigations, and more
- Be 14 and have completed the 8th grade or 15-20 years of age. If you are under 18 you must have permission from your parent/guardian.
- Maintain a “C” average or better in school.
- Have NO felony or serious misdemeanor arrests or convictions.
THIS INCLUDES ALCOHOL/DRUG RELATED OFFENSES.
- Have a strong interest in learning about Law Enforcement.
- If you are interested in becoming a Tucson Police Explorer, you must be dedicated and attend at least 75 percent of ALL Explorer functions and meetings.
- Attend an orientation night meeting (only held twice per year)
- Fill out an application package and have it NOTARIZED
- Turn the application package in ON TIME
- Successfully complete a background investigation
- Successfully complete an oral board interview
Once you have completed all the above steps you will be placed on probation for a minimum of 3 months.
The probation uniform is a plain red t-shirt, uniform slacks and uniform boots. If you complete probation you will be issued a full explorer uniform and equipment. (You must provide your own red t-shirt and boots)
Tucson Police Explorer Post #180 is NOT a club, a summer camp or a part time activity. It is a serious year round program that requires dedication, commitment and discipline.
Tucson Police Explorer Post #180