Frequently Asked Questions

Arizona Revised Statute 11-1051 - Senate Bill 1070 (SB1070)

Frequently Asked Questions concerning A.R.S. 11-1051, also commonly referred to as Senate Bill 1070 or SB1070.

Reporting Missing Persons

Discovering that a loved one is missing is one of the most stressful experiences a person can have. If this happens, you can help by gathering information before contacting the police department. Having this information ready to go will help make sure that the police department understands the nature of the report and that you get the help you are requesting. We know you are in a frightening situation, but it is critically important that you try to remain calm when filing your report. It is very hard to get important details of the situation when someone is frantic and unclear.

It is important to have clear and specific information for the police that explains reasons you believe the person is missing. Checking with the missing person’s workplace, family members, friends, and usual hang-outs before contacting law enforcement will help the police who will be searching for the missing person. Once you have checked thoroughly with these people and locations, please have one person contact the police. If you are too upset to answer questions, have someone who is calmer contact law enforcement and try to have all of the information ready.

Information that will help the police when you report someone missing:

  • What out of the ordinary event or situation leads you to believe this person is in danger/missing? For example, does this person always bring their phone, keys, wallet or purse everywhere they go and they have left it at home? Please provide as much detail regarding the curious circumstances as well any other details.
  • Please inform the police department of the person’s possible mental state. Are they a potential danger to themselves or others? Are they known to carry weapons on their person?
  • Informing the police of any medical concerns is another important piece of information. Does the missing person have any chronic medical concerns that may present a threat to themselves or others if unmanaged? Are there any medications this person normally takes that they will miss/ have already missed? Does this person have a history of mental illness? Do they require regular treatment for any condition, medical or emotional?
  • When was this person last seen? How long have they been considered missing?
  • Please have a detailed physical description prepared. Include gender, ethnicity, height, weight, age, hair color and any distinguishing marks such as tattoos or birthmarks. Also, if the information is available, provide a description of the clothing the individual was wearing when they were last seen. If you have one or two clear and recent photographs available, consider providing these to the police as soon as possible.

Important information for you to know:

  • There is no waiting period for filing a missing persons report. As soon as you have legitimate cause to believe your loved one is missing, file a report.
  • The more clearly stated facts you provide the police, the more effectively the police can help.
  • Reporting someone missing does not necessarily mean you will be informed when they are found. The missing person has the right to request confidentiality, particularly if he/she is an adult.
  • If the person returns on their own, please inform police immediately.

Professional Standards (formerly Internal Affairs)

Can you dismiss my citation if the officer gets into trouble?

  • No. A complaint on an officer is separate from the adjudication process.

How can I make a complaint about an officer?

There are several different ways to make a complaint (no third-party complaints will be accepted):

How can I offer a compliment about an officer?

Where can I find reports and other information about the Office of Professional Standartds?


What happens when I call 9-1-1?
A 9-1-1 Operator answers the telephone at the City of Tucson's primary Public Safety Answering Point. The 9-1-1 Operator determines the nature of the emergency and the location, then transfers the caller. Calls that require emergency fire or medical response (Tucson Fire Department) are transferred to Fire Dispatch. Calls that require emergency police response are transferred to Tucson Police Department Communications to determine the appropriate police response and dispatch of an officer.

More Frequently Asked Questions concerning Communications.


I was assaulted last night, but I did not report it. Is it too late?
Call 9-1-1 if you are injured and need immediate medical assistance or are in danger.
  • You can still make a report by calling the non-emergency number if you are not in immediate danger, (520) 791-6813, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., or by calling 9-1-1 if you are in danger or it is outside the non-emergency number hours.
I gave a man $700 to do some landscaping. He never did the work and I want to make a report.
This is a consumer issue; you need to contact the Arizona Attorney General's Office, 520-628-6504. They will determine whether a fraud has occurred.
Which unit handles ATM thefts?
  • If a theft is committed by someone using a stolen ATM card, and the cardholder is not present, the incident would be handled by the Fraud Detail.
  • If a theft is committed by someone who is holding the cardholder against his or her will while the theft is taking place, the investigation would be handled by the Robbery Detail.
My case has been closed. How do I retrieve my property?
Contact the case detective, who will complete a release form authorizing the Property & Evidence Section to release your property.
Why is the Homicide Detail handling my deceased family member's death; do they think it was a homicide?
The Homicide Detail investigates all deaths by unknown causes.
Do I need to make an appointment to meet with a detective?
Yes, it is best that you schedule a meeting, as the detectives are often out of the office.
I have information about a crime that occurred last week. I want to help, but want to remain anonymous. How do I report the information?
  • You can call the investigating detail directly and speak with the the assigned detective.
  • You can call 88-CRIME (520-882-7463) to provide the information.
How do I report illegal drug activity in my neighborhood?
What are the signs of possible financial exploitation of the elderly?

Please visit our Elder Abuse Task Force information page for a list of ten things to look for.


How do I obtain a protection order?
Contact City Court, 520-791-4971
What number do I call to find out if someone is in jail?
The Pima County Jail booking information number is 520-547-8181, or you can look it up online.
My car was impounded (towed) by the Tucson Police Department. How do I get it back?
Vehicle Impound pdf
What number do I call to find out whether I have a warrant for my arrest?
The phone number is 520-791-4216.
How can I find out what the graffiti in my neighborhood means and whether there is a known gang in my neighborhood?
Contact the Gang Detail at 520-791-4800.
I am new in Tucson and am looking for services such as support groups.
Information & Referral, 520-881-1794, is an excellent resource for many types of local information.
I know this is not a police matter, but I would like to know the population, elevation, etc., for Tucson. Where can I find that information?
The telephone book lists quite a bit of information in the front. You can also call the Pima County Public Library, 520-791-4010.


When is the Property & Evidence Section open to retrieve property?
Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
I was arrested over the weekend. How soon can I get my personal property back?
Property stored from the weekend is processed on Mondays and is available for release beginning Tuesday.


Why didn't the police officer leave me a copy of the report taken?
Reports are created electronically. If you need a copy, it can be picked up from the Records Section after five days.
  • Picture identification is required; it must indicate that it is a government-issued ID.
  • Requests for five or more cases require 24 hours to process.
  • Faxed requests cannot be accepted, nor is Records able to fax copies of reports.
  • Requests for information about a collision report should include:
    1. The intersection or location where the collision occurred
    2. The approximate date and time
    3. The name of a driver or involved party
  • Requests for police or collision reports can be made through the mail when the following information is included in the request (a self-addressed stamped envelope must be provided):
    1. Collision: The intersection or location where the collision occurred
    2. Collision: The approximate date and time
    3. Collision: The name of a driver or involved party
    4. Other Incident: Case number
  • Please note that collisions that occur on private property do not typically generate a collision report.
How can I request a copy of the report?
The Records Section is located at 270 S. Stone Avenue and is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., closed on Friday, weekends, and holidays. You can also e-mail questions to or phone (520) 791-4461. Digital Media: $25.00 for data, video, and audio recordings on CD or DVD. For additional information please click on the following link:

The officer took photographs of the incident, how do I get copies?

To order photographs:

Please include your name, address, contact phone number and the Tucson Police Department case number. You will receive a reply regarding information on pricing, payment, and shipping and pickup options.

In person:

Midtown Police Substation
1100 South Alvernon Way
Wednesdays only from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

By mail:

Tucson Police Department ID Section
Attn: Photolab
945 East Ohio
Tucson, AZ 85714

For questions about ordering photographs, call the TPD ID Section at 520-791-4698.


Do you need to request information or assistance with child passenger safety?

If you are requesting information or assistance with child passenger safety (i.e. car seats or booster seats), please call TPD Car Seat Assistance Line at 837-7232. Please leave your name, phone number and closest major intersection in the message. A Car Seat Technician will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you would like more information about child safety information, you may also click on the following link:

Can Motor officers ride on the white line?
Yes. This is allowed if they are conducting official business (ARS 28-903).
Can Motor officers ride on the sidewalk?
Yes. This is allowed if they are conducting official business (ARS 28-904).
How far apart are Bicycle officers allowed to ride?
Bicycle Officers should ride two abreast or as far to the right as is practicable.

Oversize/Overweight Load Permits

Oversize/Overweight permits can be obtained by coming to our office located at 1310 W. Miracle Mile. The hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m except holidays. It is preferred that you fax the information prior to coming to the office this way we can notify you when the permit is ready for you to pick up. The permit application is available on line to make this process easier for you.

Download the Non-Truck Route/Oversize/Overweight Permit Application pdf

Questions regarding oversize/overweight load permits can be directed to the Traffic Division (520) 791-4440.

Where can I obtain a City of Tucson oversize/overweight load permit?
Tucson Police Department
1310 W. Miracle Mile
Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 791-4285
(520) 791-5425 Fax
May oversized loads be moved on City of Tucson streets during the weekends and holidays?
Oversize/Overweight loads may only move on weekend & holidays with special permission from the Chief of Police or his/her designee.
Curfew hours:
Oversize/overweight loads may not be moved between the hours of 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m., or 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. City of Tucson holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas).
When are escort vehicles required?
Escort vehicles are required when overall dimensions exceed either:
  • 14’ width
  • 90’ length
  • 15’ height
  • 20’ front or rear overhang

Escort vehicles also called pilot cars are needed on loads over 15 feet wide and less than 20 feet wide should be equipped with flashing yellow or amber lights and “Oversize Load” signs shall be mounted on the roof line and to the front for front escort vehicle.
On loads over 20 feet wide a pilot car and follow up car should be equipped with flashing yellow or amber lights and “Oversize Load” sign shall be mounted on the roof line and to the front escort vehicle and to the rear for rear escort vehicle.
Pilot car with two red flags on the front, one on each side, for an overhang exceeding 20 feet over the front of the vehicle or equipment.
Follow up car with two red flags 12” and 12” minimum, one on each side, on over hang exceeding 20 feet over rear of load being moved.
Guard for wires on loads exceeding 16 feet in height.

What is considered Oversize/Overweight?
A vehicle and or load that exceeds 8’ 6” wide or a vehicle and or load that exceeds 13’6” high is considered oversize. As far as overweight goes there are several types of weight issues. Single axle weight limit is 20,000 pounds. Tandem axle weight shall not exceed 34,000 pounds. Maximum vehicle weight shall not exceed 80,000 pounds. (These are the most common) Loads not over 10 feet in width or of not more than 10 feet of rear over hang are authorized to have continuous operation (except during curfew hours) with a permit.
When is a permit required for overhangs?
A permit is required for overhangs exceeding:
  • 3’ front overhang
  • 3’ rear overhang