Welcome to the Houghton Road Corridor Improvements official website
As one of the official corridor projects approved by the voter-approved Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), we have been working hard to make this project a reality. This project will bring numerous improvements to the Houghton Corridor from Interstate 10 to Tanque Verde.
(Information about Pima County's Tanque Verde Road Project is available here: Tanque Verde Road Improvements: Catalina Highway to Houghton Road)
We are moving forward with additional projects on the implementation list as follows:
- The design for the Houghton Road Bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad project is 100 percent complete. Construction begin in March 2017.
- Design for Houghton Road from 22nd Street to Irvington Road began in fall 2016 and is anticipated to take 18 to 24 months.
- Design for Houghton Road from Valencia Road to Mary Ann Cleveland Way is currently in progress.
WHAT THIS PROJECT WILL PROVIDE:
We are looking forward to providing you with a new desert parkway that includes:
- Six-lane roadway south of Speedway Boulevard (three lanes in each direction), Four lanes north of Speedway
- Improved access control, including landscape medians with water harvesting
- Improved intersections with new signalization
- Bike lanes
- Sidewalks on both sides of the roadway
- Bus pullouts and transit options
- Rubberized asphalt for sound mitigation
- Improved drainage and all-weather crossings
- Landscaping that maintains the scenic corridor and utilizes water harvesting and native plants
- Wildlife-sensitive design
- Public Art
- Multi-use path along the east side of the corridor
PROGESS TO DATE:
To date we have:
- Developed Conceptual Design and Plans for the entire corridor from Interstate 10 to Tanque Verde Road.
- Divided the corridor into 9 projects for implementation. We are working with the RTA to keep the corridor improvements moving, and will update this plan as new information becomes available.
- Completed construction of the Houghton and Old Vail/Mary Ann Cleveland Way Intersection Improvements.
- Completed construction of Houghton Road improvements from Irvington Road to Valencia Road. The project began construction in October 2012 and was completed in May 2014, on schedule and under budget.
- Completed construction of the Houghton and Broadway Intersection, then continued south through the 22nd Street intersection. Construction began in early 2015 and was completed on schedule in September 2016.