The City of Tucson, in conjunction with the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), is improving Sabino Canyon Road from just south of Tanque Verde Road to Kolb Road. The improvements include two lanes of traffic in each direction, bike lanes and a multi use path or sidewalks along Sabino Canyon Road. This project is part of the $2.1 billion, 20-year RTA plan that was approved by voters in May 2006.
Sabino Canyon Road extension south to Kolb Road
Planned improvements include a four-lane roadway with bike lanes and sidewalks extending Sabino Canyon Road south from its intersection with Tanque Verde Road to connect with Kolb Road approximately one-third mile north of Speedway Boulevard.
Construction is anticipated to begin in December 2015 and take approximately 15 months to complete. The Tucson-based Ashton Company was selected as contractor for the project with a low bid of approximately $12.3 million.
A Pre-Construction Public Open House was held on Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Udall Regional Center, 7200 E. Tanque Verde Road, Tucson.
The fact sheet from the meeting is attached below:
- November 2015 Fact Sheet
- Invitation to the Open House on November 19, 2015
- June 24, 2015 PowerPoint
- Extension Map
- Fact Sheet
- 2015 Comment Form
- Sabino Extension Right of Way / Bridge Map
- May to November 2012 Project Summary Report
- Kolb Road: Connection to Sabino Canyon Road - Access Option #5
- Artist's Rendition of Sabino Canyon Connection
- Wall animation (MP4 video)
Wall animation (wmv video)
- Environmental Assessment Overview
- Typical Section Map
- Meeting to Present New Neighborhood Access Option - Oct. 29, 2012.
- Neighborhood Access Options (options 1 to 4)
- Access Options 1 - 3 June 2012 pdf
- Proposed Improvements
- Public Meeting Presentation (March 2012)
- Final Drainage Report
- Meeting Summary Task Force Meeting (March 1, 2011)
- Traffic Engineering Report (March 17, 2011)
- Meeting Summary Task Force Meeting (Nov 9, 2010)
- Public Meeting Comment Summary June 2010
- Meeting Summary Task Force Meeting (May 25, 2010)
- Preliminary Analysis of Opening Year (2012) Operations (Apr 2010)
- Public Meeting Comment Summary (Feb 2010)
- Meeting Summary 01/26/10 Task Force Meeting (Jan 2010)
- Public Meeting Presentation (Feb 2010)
- Meeting Summary 11/19/2009 Task Force Meeting (Nov 2009)
- Site Characterization Report (Oct 2009)
- Public Meeting Comment Summary (Sep 2009)
- Meeting Summary (Sep 2009)
- Traffic Noise Report 2011
- Revised Traffic Noise Report 2013