No state highway closures over Thanksgiving weekend
In an effort to help holiday travelers and promote safety, the Arizona Department of Transportation says no construction closures are scheduled along Phoenix-area freeways or state highways over the Thanksgiving weekend. No closures will be scheduled between Wednesday afternoon and early Monday morning, Dec. 1.
Drivers who have plans to travel over the weekend are urged to focus on safety. ADOT and its contractors will hold off on work requiring closures as the busy holiday travel season gets underway. Motorists should focus on staying alert and obeying speed limits, especially in areas where existing work zones are in place.
Last year, 13 people were killed in a total of 10 fatal crashes along Arizona highways and local roads over the Thanksgiving weekend. Three of those fatal crashes were alcohol-related. ADOT, the Department of Public Safety and Governor’s Office of Highway Safety ask motorists to follow these safe-driving tips:
- Get a good night’s rest before heading out on a trip.
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, fluid levels and the condition of engine belts.
- Buckle up and double-check child safety seats.
- Never drive while impaired. Arrange for a designated driver ahead of time.
- Obey speed limits, be patient and avoid distractions. Don’t text while driving.
- Be prepared for unscheduled closures due to accidents. Have an emergency preparedness kit that includes extra clothes, blankets, flashlights, snack foods and drinking water.
ADOT also teams up with DPS and the Black Canyon City and Daisy Mountain fire departments to focus on emergency response efforts along Interstate 17 north of Phoenix, especially when heavier traffic is expected on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons. ADOT will position vehicles and equipment in the Anthem and Cordes Junction areas to allow crews to quickly respond to crashes or disabled vehicles and reopen the highway in the event of closures or lane restrictions.
For the latest highway conditions across Arizona, travelers can visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511.gov or call 511 (outside Arizona call 1-888-411-ROAD). ADOT's public information line for state highway conditions is 602-712-6513. You can also track closures and other highway conditions at Twitter.com/ArizonaDOT.
Additional information about winter driving and items to include in an emergency preparedness kit can be found at azdot.gov/KnowSnow.