Gray water is wastewater collected from the drains of hand-washing sinks, showers, bathtubs and clothes washing machines. Of the total amount of wastewater generated in a typical home, 12% is from clothes washers, 10% is from faucets, and 9% is from showers. That’s a total of 31% that can be re-used as gray water for landscape plants, fruit trees, and lawns.
Tucson Water's Single Family Residential Gray Water Rebate Program will reimburse you up to $1,000 when a permanent gray water irrigation system is installed in your home.
Applicants must submit a W-9 form for rebates of $600 or more, which are subject to tax, and will be issued a 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income. The W-9 form requires submitting your social security number.
Half of qualifying residential gray water system costs, up to $1,000.
Rebate funds are limited and will be distributed on a first come, first served basis.
- Gray water irrigation systems purchased after January 1, 2013.
- Rebate covers design costs, materials, storage tanks, filters, pumps, backflow prevention assembly, and installation.
Tucson Water customers must attend a free, two-hour Gray Water Rebate Workshop offered by the Pima County Cooperative Extension/SmartScape Program or Watershed Management Group . Workshops cover appropriate methods to design, operate and maintain a gray water system.
Backflow Prevention Requirements
Use of an irrigation system that is pressurized with any kind of pump must have a reduced pressure assembly (RPA) installed at the service connection to protect the public water system from potential contamination.
For more information on backflow assembly requirements for alternative water sources (rainwater and gray water irrigation systems), download the Alternative Water Sources and Backflow Assembly Requirements , visit the Backflow Prevention web page, or call 520-791-2650.
How to Apply
- Download gray water rebate application and policy (603 KB)
- Descargar solicitud de reembolso de aguas grises y la política (687 KB)
Click on the following links for information, call 520-791-4331, or e-mail Tucson Water's Public Information and Conservation Office (PICO).
- Gray Water Rebate Program Brochure (3.1 MB)
- Gray Water Information Guide (14.8 MB)
- Rainwater Harvesting and Gray Water Reuse Resources (866 KB)
- Using Gray Water at Home
- 10 Questions To Ask Before Using Laundry Water In Your Yard
Esta información está disponible en Español. Por favor llame al (520) 791-4331.