Neighborhood Park • 4 acres • Ward 6
To The Mormon Battalion
Which, under command of Col. Cooke, in the course of their 2,000 mile infantry march to the Pacific coast, arrived and raised the first American flag in Tucson. December 16, 1876
Erection supervised by M-Men and Gleaner Girls of the Central Arizona District of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. June 13, 1937
Tucson Arizona World War II Memorial
With great reverence to all who served to maintain the freedoms of our nation, we dedicate this Memorial. The Tucson Arizona World War II Memorial honors service members from Tucson and Pima County who gave their lives during this global conflict.
The Memorial was inspired by the dedication of Gilbert B. Quintanilla, who served in the 1st Marine Division in the South Pacific, and Connie Lujan Harris, plus the many others who perservered to make this Memorial a reality. Special thanks to Ward 5 Council Members Steve Leal and Richard Fimbres, and to all who worked to make this Memorial a permanent place of remembrance.
The compass at the heart of the Memorial is a reminder that this war was fought from every direction across the globe. November 11, 2013
World War I
1917 -- World War -- 1918
Dedicated to Those Who Served
Lest We Forget
Spanish American War
In Memory of Those Who Served
Spanish American War, 1898-1902
Cuba -- Porto Rico -- Philippines -- China
Lest You Forget
Camp Lowell was established at this location in 1866 by the U.S. Army in recognition of the strategic military importance of Tucson. The camp provided military protection as well as bringing financial benefits to the residents of Tucson. The two principal purposes of this military installation were to supply other army outposts south of the Gila River and to protect the citizens of the southern Arizona territory. Camp Lowell consisted primarily of tents. A poorly built adobe structure functioned as a kitchen, and a rented building in town served as a hospital. In 1873 the camp was moved out of town and reestablished at its current location at the confluence of the Pantano and Tanque Verde washes. In 1879, Camp Lowell was renamed Fort Lowell.
In 1913, a portion of the federal Camp Lowell site, between 5th and 6th Avenues and 12th and 13th Streets, was deeded to the state for the construction of an armory. The first armory in the state of Arizona was constructed within the confines of what was originally called Military Plaza, and is now called Armory Park, and opened in 1914. The masonry structure, with its castle-like towers, featured a basement rifle range, a main floor with hardwood floors for military drills as well as practice by University of Arizona basketball players, and an upper floor with offices. In the 4930s, the Boy Scouts camped in the park for their annual "camporee," and during World War II soldiers used the facilities for dances before going oversees. A new armory was later built elsewhere in Tucson and the building in Armory Park was demolished in 1975.
222 S. 5th Ave., Tucson 85701 View Map