Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a police report?

Why didn't the officer give me a copy of the report?
Reports are created electronically. Visit the Records Section page to request a copy of a police report.

How do I get my property back from the Evidence Section?

When is the Evidence Section open to retrieve property?
Monday to Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

I was arrested over the weekend. How soon can I get my property back?
Property received on the weekend is processed on Monday and may be available for release on Tuesday.

Visit the Evidence Section page for more information.

How do I report a missing person?

Before contacting police, check with the missing person’s workplace, family members, friends, and usual hangouts.

Next, have only one person contact the police. (If you're too upset to answer questions, have someone else make the call.)

**There is no waiting period to file a missing person report.
As soon as you believe a person is missing, file a report.**

You will not necessarily be told when the person is found. They or their parent/guardian have the right to request confidentiality.

If the missing person returns on their own, tell police immediately.

Tell the police

  • Why you think the person is missing
    • What unusual event or situation leads you to believe the person is in danger/missing? For example, do they always bring their keys, phone, purse, or wallet everywhere they go and they've left them at home? Provide details.
  • Their possible mental state (e.g., hostile, depressed, confused, angry)
    • Are they a potential danger to themselves or others? Are they known to have or carry weapons?
  • Any medical issues. Do they take/need medication? Do they have a history of dementia or mental illness?
  • When they were last seen and how long you think they've been missing
  • Give a detailed physical description, including:
    • Sex
    • Race/Ethnicity
    • Height
    • Weight
    • Age
    • Hair color
    • Distinguishing marks, such as tattoos or birthmarks
    • A description of the clothes they were wearing when last seen
  • If you have one or two clear and recent photographs available, consider providing them to the police as soon as possible.

How do I file a complaint against a TPD employee?

  • Use this online form to report to TPD's Office of Professional Standards (formerly Internal Affairs).
  • Call the City of Tucson's Independent Police Auditor (not a TPD employee) at (520) 837-4003.
  • Walk or mail a report to Professional Standards, Tucson Police Department, 270 S. Stone Ave., Tucson, AZ 85701-1917, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Can you dismiss my citation if the officer gets into trouble?
No. A complaint against an officer is separate from the court process.

How do I thank a TPD employee?

Where can I dispose of expired or unused prescription medications?

Each police substation has a dropbox in the lobby where you can safely dispose of pills (no needles or liquids). Other locations in Pima County can be found on this map.

What does TPD do re: immigration enforcement?

Chief Magnus responds to questions about TPD involvement with immigration enforcement:

The Tucson Police Department has worked very hard over a period of years to develop and insure a relationship of trust and partnership with our large immigrant community. The very fabric of our city is interwoven with residents from diverse backgrounds, representing many races and ethnicities that come from a wide range of places. Tucsonans pride themselves on kindness and inclusiveness.

It is important our residents understand that the policies and practices put in place over the past decade to direct and clarify how our officers interact with undocumented persons and handle immigration enforcement issues are not changing. The Tucson Police Department will continue to work with our federal law enforcement partners in a manner consistent with federal and state laws regulating immigration and protecting the civil rights, privileges and immunities of all persons. This means we make notifications associated with certain contacts and arrests when the individuals involved are a direct threat to public safety, are wanted for serious crimes, or have federal arrest warrants.

The Tucson Police Department recognizes that the enforcement of state and federal laws related to immigration is a complex effort and that the need for community trust and cooperation is an essential component of policing and public safety. Entangling local policing with additional immigration enforcement responsibilities would seriously compromise our ability to maintain the trust and support of our diverse community. If any of our residents believe that by reporting a crime, seeking assistance, or working with the police to make their neighborhoods safer will cause them to be unconstitutionally detained for an extended time or deported, our community becomes less secure. We will not compromise our commitment to community policing and public safety by taking on immigration enforcement responsibilities that appropriately rest with federal authorities.

Miscellaneous Topics

How do I get an Order of Protection?
Orders of Protection are issued by Tucson City Court. Call (520) 791-4971 for more information.

How do I find out if someone is in jail?
The booking information number for the Pima County Jail is (520) 351-8111, or you can look inmates up here.

My car was impounded (towed) by the Tucson Police Department. How do I get it back?
Vehicle Impound(PDF, 495KB)

How do I find out if there's a warrant for my arrest?
Call (520) 791-4216.

How do I hire a police officer for a special event?
Special Duty Employment allows private employers to hire TPD officers to provide law enforcement services at locations in Tucson.

If you would like more information about TPD's Special Duty Program, call (281) 347-8500 or visit this page.

Contact Us

Emergency: 911

Non-emergency: 520-791-4444

88-CRIME (website)

88-CRIME (520-882-7463)

Human Resources/Recruiting

520-791-COPS (2677) (2677)