Plaza • 0.13 acres • Ward 6
One of the few remaining sites which recall the Mexican heritage of Tucson, it acquired its name after the Gadsden Purchase (1854) as the terminus of the wagon road joining Tucson to the territorial capital, then at Mesilla, New Mexico. When San Agustin, the first cathedral church in Arizona, was erected just east of the plaza, it became known as La Placita de San Agustin and was an important gathering place for locals and became the site of the annual La Fiesta de San Agustin. The 15-foot-wide gazebo was built in 1955 and is a replica of the original 1880s plaza bandstand. The plaza was refered to as La Placita Park when La Placita Village was built around the plaza in the late 1960s and early 1970s until its original name of Plaza de la Mesilla was reinstated in 2021.
Class Registration: 520-791-4877
123 W. Broadway Blvd., Tucson 85701 View Map
123 W. Broadway Blvd. ,
7 a.m.-10 p.m.