Tucson Fire Department Training & Recruiting
Tucson Fire Training Video
Firefighter Recruit and other City of Tucson Job Openings listed at https://jobapscloud.com/tucson/
For additional information, email TucsonFireJobs@tucsonaz.gov.
Accepting applications on 02/05/24 - 03/03/24. Informational sessions will be held at Fire Central on Tuesday February 13th from 6-8 pm and Wednesday February 21st also from 6-8. Academy start date is July 15th 2024.
Beginning a Career with Tucson Fire
Anyone interested in becoming a firefighter with the Tucson Fire Department must first go through the Civil Service testing process. To work for Tucson Fire in any uniformed position, a candidate must complete the testing process AND complete the department’s training Academy.
TFD does not hire into any uniform position except for Firefighter.
The following Minimum Requirements must be met in order to apply for the upcoming testing process:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent certificate
- Valid Driver’s License with two years driving experience
- Ability to obtain an Arizona EMT certification upon graduation from the academy. Contact AZDHS for questions regarding certification
- Physical abilities necessary to perform essential firefighting functions
Currently, it is not necessary to have either an EMT certification or a Firefighter I or II certification in order to apply. Nor is it necessary to live within the Tucson city limits, although these may be requirements in future recruitments.
- Upon Academy completion: $49,984 annually
- An 12-step pay plan for the rank of firefighter reaches its maximum at $70,681 annually
- 13 days paid sick leave per year (leave accruals increase at certain milestones)
- 13 days paid vacation per year (leave accruals increase at certain milestones)
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- 25-year retirement plan
- Opportunities to participate in deferred compensation plans
- Tuition reimbursement for college courses (up to $5,250.00 per fiscal year)
- Qualified education loan repayment assistance program
- Paid military leave
- On-duty physical exercise program
Salary & Benefits
Detailed information regarding the testing process.
Applicants should be aware that successful completion of all phases of the testing process does not guarantee employment. The eligibility list will remain in effect for a minimum of six months.
The City of Tucson is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Under the city's Civil Service-Human Resources Ordinance, Tucson Code Chapter 10 §10-18, it is unlawful to discriminate in City employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, marital status, and political opinions, beliefs, or affiliations.
A Message From Chief Ryan