Residential Permits


A permit and inspections are required for most residential projects including porches, additions, and equipment such as air conditioners and water heaters. If new work is performed such as replacement of gas piping, a plan may be necessary to obtain the permit.

It is the homeowner/property owner’s responsibility to provide plans and obtain a permit for:

  • All new residential buildings
  • Electrical reconnections, service increases, panel replacement or repair
  • Gas lines pressure tests (new or replacement lines)
  • Water heater installation (including replacements)
  • Furnaces, Heat Pumps, Air Conditioners (new or replacement) & Evaporative Coolers (new only) NOTE: Load and sizing calculations are required for new AND replacement HVAC equipment
  • All residential walls or fences must have a site plan review for Zoning Compliance. Additionally, walls and fences over 7 feet tall require a building permit with a structural engineered design.
  • Detached accessory structures over 200 square feet (e.g. Storage Sheds).
  • Porches, additions or garages
  • Remodeling of existing structures

Planning and Development Services can review construction plans submitted by the customer but we cannot design the plans for you. If you need help in designing a plan you will need to contact a design professional. All plans are required to be neat, legible and well organized. 

Rental units are considered commercial property and all commercial permits require a licensed contractor.

When you submit your plans they will be reviewed by different staff to determine compliance with building codes, zoning codes, floodplain regulations, fire safety and other topics. Be sure to review applicable codes as you design your project. 

It is possible to obtain a permit for work that has already occurred. However, the same requirements will apply to include a full set of construction drawings and completed inspections. A permit authorizes work to be done so if the project has already begun, please discontinue work until you obtain your permit.

Residential Permit Submittal Requirements(PDF, 212KB)

Reconnect Permits

A permit is required to reconnect electric or gas service to a residence. This is sometimes referred to as "jurisdictional clearance" by utility companies. Reconnect permits are required if the utility has been shut off to a residential structure for 6 consecutive months. The permit cost is $131.00 which covers administrative and inspection costs. If you are installing water or gas piping, a drawing must be submitted that identifies the size and length of all piping. Include the Gas Piping Template(PDF, 308KB) with your application.

We inspect for any obvious code violations relating to the utility being connected or other life safety hazards are addressed prior to approving release of electrical power or gas to the premises.

We recommend that you review the Electrical Reconnect Guidelines(PDF, 102KB) and pre-inspect the dwelling prior to your inspection. New equipment is not considered a reconnect and will be charged according to the proposed work.

The Electrical Reconnect Information Sheet(PDF, 205KB) must be filled out and included with all electrical reconnect permit applications using Tucson Development Center Online. This form is used for both residential and commercial reconnects.

Owner/Builder Affidavit

In lieu of hiring a general contractor, A.R.S.§ 32-1121.A. provides guidance for residential home owners to assume responsibility for the projects on their homes and be exempt from the State of Arizona contractors’ license laws. Homeowners who wish to use the exemption must be listed as the owner on the permit, complete the Owner/Builder Affidavit form(PDF, 128KB) and submit the form during the application process using Tucson Development Center Online

Homeowners who intend to use the exemption must understand that the conditions of A.R.S.§ 32-1121.A.14 (the Handyman Exemption) does not apply to any construction project which requires a building permit and/or the cost of materials and labor exceed $1000.00.

Completing this document for the purpose of evading State licensing laws is a Class II misdemeanor pursuant to A.R.S.§13-2704.

Review the full text of A.R.S.§ 32-1121.A.(PDF, 121KB)

Residential Solar

All residential solar projects that meet the criteria are encouraged to apply using the new Solar One Stop for same day permitting.

The Solar One Stop is a collaborative effort between Pima County Development Services Department and the City of Tucson Planning and Development Services Department, with the assistance of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) to streamline the permitting of residential photovoltaic arrays.

Criteria: Residential solar projects are eligible as long as they are attached to a roof and are NOT located in a Historic Preservation Zone (HPZ) or Neighborhood Preservation Zone (NPZ). If your property is in an HPZ or NPZ please apply through our Online Building Permit Application

Process: For additional information about the process and to submit your application through the Solar One Stop, please click here.

Please note that customers using the Solar One Stop, whether they are located in the City or the County, apply to Pima County for an electrical/mechanical building permit, and schedule inspections with the County.

Casitas/Accessory Dwelling Units

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs, or casitas) are now allowed in Tucson. One unit is allowed per residential lot. Each casita must comply with the applicable regulations regarding maximum size, height, and other standards.

Use this worksheet(PDF, 1MB) to learn more about the regulations, and the process to design and permit a casita

Building Permit Requirements

All submissions should use Tucson Development Center Online.   

Residential Permit Submittal Requirements(PDF, 212KB)

Other materials that may be required:
Demolition of a Structure
Electrical Work
Gas Work
Mechanical Work
Adult and Child Care